Shoulder and elbow discomfort


harishchandragad trek

I've been lifting for a while now and after a bit of a plateau I'm lifting relatively heavier weights again. However I've been having a small amount of discomfort in my shoulders and elbows. The discomfort tends to be more on my weaker left side.

I have had elbow pain from doing dips so I completely refrain from doing dips now and I haven't had any more pain in my elbows. However I sometimes do experience an occasional 'clicking' or popping after coming down from the top of a rep, usually shoulder press and moreso in my left elbow than right. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't seem right. Should I be concerned about this? I've experienced this for a little while but if I rest it tends to go away until I start going again for a few weeks.

More recently I have been having discomfort in my shoulder(s). Again more left than right shoulder but still both. Most of the time I don't experience any discomfort while lifting, only for very certain exercises. The most I have felt the discomfort is from doing tricep rope pulldowns, it feels like I'm pulling on my shoulders too hard. I also notice it often when racking dumbbells, especially if I put them down too fast, I find it helps if I let them down a lot more slowly on the stand and only let go once they are fully down. I have no issues when using a tricep pushdown machine like this https://www.nationalfitness.in/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Triceps-Pushdown-Machine.jpg

I have noticed a similar feeling sometimes when doing seated cable rows as well, especially when I let go at the end, again I find letting go more slowly helps. I have also strangely had the discomfort when doing regular dumbbell rows, except the discomfort is in the shoulder resting on the bench, not the one doing the lifting. Could this be something related to grip? Maybe I am gripping too hard?

I figure I will at least stop doing tricep pulldowns for now but should I stop lifting altogether for a week or so? Any idea of cause? Thanks

submitted by /u/ZoSoIV
[link] [comments]

Comments